23 March 2015

2015 Coast to Coast...

One of my favourite participation rides is the Coast to Coast - a 120km ride from Glenelg to Victor Harbour which is put on by BikeSA.

Unfortunately they discontinued the ride after 2011, but they have brought it back in 2015 after much protest from the riders!

Although not a race, there are those that do take it seriously, me being one of them!
The route is absolutely stunning leaving Glenelg, climbing up the Old Freeway past Eagle on the Hill, through Crafers, Stirling, Meadows, then down to Victor Harbour.

Apart from the steep climb up Eagle on the Hill at the beginning, then the climb at the end up Hutchinson Hill Rd, the route is mainly flat or downhill.

 
The Course Map

The weather we had was perfect with it being 32c and a slight tail wind most of the way to help.

I managed to tack onto the back of the Steve Cunningham (of the procyclingtours fame & also who I am going away with later in the year) grupetto for most of the way, and although I got dropped going up the very last climb, another guy and myself worked together to get back to the group again.

Him and I had a sprint at the end of the ride as the rest of the group were just gently rolling in and I managed to pip him at the line.  However there was another person who must have broken away earlier.

As it turned out, according to Strava I was 2nd over the line out of the 1500 that started, and in a time of 3h24m55s.


 
Me at the Finish Line in Victor Harbour


To Make a Donation Towards My 2016 Beat Cancer Tour click here:
https://secure.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx?registrationID=880491&langPref=en-CA#&panel1-3